What this blog is about

Bicycle commuting, bicycle touring, bicycle racing; bicycle ADVENTURING.
To the grocery store, up a mountain, across the country or to the finish line--
it's all an adventure.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

I'm in today's ClimateWire!

Robin Bravender of ClimateWire interviewed me the other day about my gas-free plans for the July 4 weekend. I looks like I made the lead story on the front page!

It also looks like you have to be a subscriber to read the whole story, but I'll just include the tidbits that I'm in so as to entice you to sign up for a worthwhile subscription.

Bicycle enthusiast Rebecca Jensen, 23, is planning to spend the day on a bike trip with her parents, "winery hopping" around Walla Walla, Wash., in the southeast corner of the state.

Jensen doesn't own a car and travels almost everywhere on her bicycle. She commutes to her job at a coffee shop on her bicycle and started a program at a community center teaching others how to fix their own bikes. She said since gas prices have increased, she has seen more bikes and "definitely more two-wheeled vehicles in general" out on the road with her.

"When I'm with people and they complain about gas, I do smile to myself, because I don't have to directly pay for it," Jensen said.

In a country famous for its love of cars, lifestyles like Jensen's are still far from the norm. Yet with gas soaring above $4 per gallon, industry leaders say a growing number of summer travelers are eyeing bike trips with new appreciation.

To sign up for a trial of ClimateWire, click here!
Related Posts with Thumbnails