What this blog is about

Bicycle commuting, bicycle touring, bicycle racing; bicycle ADVENTURING.
To the grocery store, up a mountain, across the country or to the finish line--
it's all an adventure.

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Go, Mom & Dad! (Thanks, Debi & Jim!)

My parents have spent a lot of time cheering for me at soccer games and cycling races-- it was my turn this weekend to return the favor.

My mom  really was a trooper. It's been a long time since she's been on a bicycle and she was nervous about her sense of balance. We practiced in a parking lot before we left, took a few breaks on the way over, and she made it all the way to the Walla Walla Roastery at the airport. It was no easy task to ride 5 miles after so many years off the bike and I'm proud of my mom for challenging herself!


My dad, likewise, hasn't been on a bicycle in a while- but he has been looking at them online, in catalogs and bike shops! I think he needs to do less thinking about riding bicycles and spend more time actually riding bicycles. So I rented my parents bicycles! And, boy- it was obvious that he really belonged on a bicycle. I hope to see him do more riding..



It was also really terrific to have Debi along. Debi was very patient, as she still remembers what her first days back on a bicycle were like. She's also a terrific inspiration, because- dude, she's in her fifties and she's gonna ride over 200 miles in one day at STP!


Jim was also a great help. There are times when suburbans are very useful. This was one of them. I told you guys, I don't think cars are bad- I just think we could use them a bit less! ..and I just ride my bike all the time and do funny things like move out my apartment by bicycle trailer because it's fun.. Really!
Related Posts with Thumbnails