The map appropriately folds out to 18 by 24 inches and it is rumored that the next generation map will be even larger. The map highlights a lot of useful information for a cyclist, including bike lanes, routes, trails and more. If you are new to the area or just new to bicycling, this map is a very helpful resource.
However-- I found that as a local, I wanted:
- A smaller map, that's easier to pull out quickly and read.
- Less information that I don't really need.
- More information about the ride-ability of roads to quickly scan for an ideal route.
Also, when I give out a bike map, I usually suggest highlighting more roads that are especially good for cycling. So finally, I just decided to..
MAKE MY OWN WALLA WALLA BIKE MAP!
I highlighted roads according to my personal opinion (and no scientific study!) of each street's ride-ability. It is possible and to be expected that my idea of ride-able roads may vary from another person's idea of ride-able roads. However, this map is always a work in progress! If you think that I inappropriately marked a road or intersection, please leave a comment on this post and let me know!
These maps are intended to be printed out on a regular 8 1/2" by 11" paper. You will likely have to make an adjustment on your Printer Preferences to make sure it fits the paper.
The streets are labeled:
- BLUE, for bike lane
- GREEN, for great for bikes, very light traffic, highly residential
- YELLOW, for good for bikes, light traffic, wide shoulders, sometimes residential
- ORANGE, for ok for bikes, steady traffic, few shoulders, speed limit over 30, sometimes more than one lane in direction of travel
- Orange DOTS, frequent congestion
- Red DOTS, exercise extra caution in this intersection
Click to enlarge.
This map is a close-up of the map above.
Frequent Congestion and Extra Caution Intersections are labeled as such because they may:
- Experience increased traffic when the school day starts or ends.
- Have poor visibility.
- Require a confident and experienced cyclist to maneuver through safely.