What this blog is about

Bicycle commuting, bicycle touring, bicycle racing; bicycle ADVENTURING.
To the grocery store, up a mountain, across the country or to the finish line--
it's all an adventure.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Maps are Hope

The way people read books for pleasure is the way I read maps.

I spend time curled up with them on the couch or daydreaming on a bus.

I examine all the little symbols and translate them into thoughts, questions, musings.

This thin, squiggly line must be a peaceful road.. with wet deciduous trees that hush the wind and shake little plump droplets onto your face. The road might be narrow, winding and steep. I could feel powerful as I rock my bike back and forth, ascending. I might puff white wisps of carbon dioxide into the air, ears red and legs warm.

There could be darling houses and old architecture. A bakery that has the BEST cinnamon rolls.

When I look at maps-- I see the potential of all that could be.

Maps to me, are hope.

Because hope is having grounds to believe that something good will happen.
Related Posts with Thumbnails