What this blog is about

Bicycle commuting, bicycle touring, bicycle racing; bicycle ADVENTURING.
To the grocery store, up a mountain, across the country or to the finish line--
it's all an adventure.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Easter Egg Jerseys-- a Debate?

Just because I'm a girl..





Doesn't mean that I want to look like an EASTER EGG when I ride my bike.


I pointed out this sentiment to one of my bosses at the shop and he pointed out that these are the colors that "sell."

Are they? REALLY? Or are they the only color that's ever available?

I have yet to meet a woman who is happy about being made to look like a 7-year-old. And yes, I mean SEVEN YEAR OLD. Here's a comparison chart of women's jerseys and girls' tops (ages 4-15):

click to enlarge

This is not an anti-pink manifesto. While I was on the Whitman College Cycling Team, the women had a tradition of sporting matching "serious pink" bar tape or hot pink socks for Nationals. Pink is AWESOME! 


After the road race at nationals. Pink bar tape!

Pink socks on the podium!


And the girls are STILL having fun today-- 

Being all "serious" before a team time trial.

So pink, or crazy patterns, are used for fun-- but I don't know any women who get really excited about lavender flowers.

What do you think?

Do you think that men feel "threatened" by women participating in a "men's sport," that women have to main their "gender role" while participating in order to make it "okay"?

Is my point of view skewed due to my racing background? 

I just want to be treated like a grown woman-- not a little girl.
Related Posts with Thumbnails