What this blog is about

Bicycle commuting, bicycle touring, bicycle racing; bicycle ADVENTURING.
To the grocery store, up a mountain, across the country or to the finish line--
it's all an adventure.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Touring Cyclist's Brain

My brain can handle the ever-changing and contrasting life of bicycle touring. I like to not always know where I'm sleeping that night, but having faith that I can 'figure it out when I get there.' I like eating what's available and meeting whoever's around. But the other day, we were leaving a large town after half a day of errands and my brain was on a full tilt whirl. It was like that one time I had 3 or 4 Redbulls while studying in college. Except without the Redbull. Then I got back on my bike-- and even though I had to exert brain power to safely navigate through traffic and find my way out of town-- I was suddenly in a place my brain knew. And I was okay again.

Here's a smorgasboard of events:


We had to drive to Lexington, KY to buy a new tire.


We're in Virginia!


We eat ice cream before dinner!
(and I have it at least once, sometimes three times, a day.)



We had McDonalds that morning.. and this for dinner.


And tonight, we are spending the night at a botanical garden.

And tomorrow, we go up 'VESUVIUS', by far the MOST talked up hill of the entire trip.
Says a cyclist, "it will probably be the hardest hill you ever climb in your life."
Current location: Lexington, VA

Related Posts with Thumbnails