What this blog is about

Bicycle commuting, bicycle touring, bicycle racing; bicycle ADVENTURING.
To the grocery store, up a mountain, across the country or to the finish line--
it's all an adventure.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ride the Islands!

I have discovered several wonderful things.


First-- round trip fare for a cyclist on the Whidbey ferry is only $5.10. 

Second-- bus transit on the island is FREE!

Third-- Langley has really, really good coffee that is the perfect jet fuel.

So what this means is: riding around Whidbey Island is one of my favorite things to do with a weekend. I can ride or bus down to the ferry, then ride or bus up to Langley, drink a cappuccino, then ride or bus all over the island before ferrying, then riding or busing back home. What is 50 miles of riding for the legs, could be 100 miles of travel and sights to see. 

Buses aside, the island has quiet roads for riding, rugged beaches for relaxing and quaint towns with really great coffee for sipping. What a combo! If I pull my touring gear together, an overnight at Fort Ebey or Deception Pass becomes a scenic, minimal-planning mini-tour. After getting the hang of that, a third or fourth day would get me up to Anacortes or even the San Juan Islands. People fly across the country to ride these! I've got them in my backyard.

So if you're looking for a quick mini-tour-- try rolling out your front door and see what you find.
Related Posts with Thumbnails