What this blog is about

Bicycle commuting, bicycle touring, bicycle racing; bicycle ADVENTURING.
To the grocery store, up a mountain, across the country or to the finish line--
it's all an adventure.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bicycle/Pedestrian Meeting

Points of interest from the latest Walla Walla Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee meeting:

  • We're updating our bike map! I am just giddy about this. Walt, the cool guy who draws up the maps, gave me a proof to mark up. It made me feel special. I'm meeting with folks next week to talk about getting sponsors to sign on to have their place of business marked on the map for tourists. The hot topic is whether this poses a conflict with the Chamber's promotion of businesses. Whatever, I'm just excited about having a big colorful map laying on my dining table to draw on with highlighters and pencils.
  • There's bicycle parking congestion at the Farmers Market! I am giddy about this too. I like that this problem exists to solve. The frustrating part is that the consensus is that the City and Downtown Foundation are NOT willing to give away ONE motor vehicle parking to allow space for TWELVE bicycles.
  • There will now be time allotted for public input at the end of each meeting. I have to admit, I didn't really understand how it worked before-- but you are always invited to join us and pipe up on what's important to you!
  • I've got homework! It's time to take a look at the 2005 Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan and UPDATE it. I feel lucky to be in on this process so early during my time on the committee.
NEXT MEETING: November 12, 11:30am

Not from Walla Walla? Surely your town or city has a Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee! If not, then you can start one!
Related Posts with Thumbnails