What this blog is about

Bicycle commuting, bicycle touring, bicycle racing; bicycle ADVENTURING.
To the grocery store, up a mountain, across the country or to the finish line--
it's all an adventure.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Draw a map to your goal.

Start at your goal, then work backwards.

STEP ELEVEN

Ride the Cape Epic.

STEP TEN

Ride a 7-day MTB stage race.

STEP NINE

Go on an off-road MTB summer tour.

STEP EIGHT

Ride a 3-day MTB stage race.

STEP SEVEN

Ride an epic MTB one-day race.

STEP SIX

Get a few solid seasons of summer MTB racing under the belt.

STEP FIVE

Move to a place (in the greater Seattle area) with easy access to mountain biking.

STEP FOUR

Buy a mountain bike.

STEP THREE

Work in a bike shop.

STEP TWO

Move to Seattle.

STEP ONE

Dream.


*Various steps may be repeated, overlap, and even skipped-- though skipping is not advised, as that's less fun.

My real goal map would be a bit more complex than that-- it would include some classes, some cross-training, some friend-making, a lot of riding, and a belief that I can let myself do what I want to do. Because that's a funny thing I learned about people this summer while on my cross-country tour--

that too many people actually know what they want-- and yet, they're still afraid to go and get it.

I plan on getting mine. Do you?
Related Posts with Thumbnails