What this blog is about

Bicycle commuting, bicycle touring, bicycle racing; bicycle ADVENTURING.
To the grocery store, up a mountain, across the country or to the finish line--
it's all an adventure.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Right Brain v. Left Brain


Do you see the dancer turning clockwise or counter-clockwise? Find out HERE

My experience: when I saw the STILL photo, I thought the dancer was going clockwise. When I saw the animation, I initially thought it was going counter. Then I closed my eyes out of frustration and looked again and it was going clockwise and couldn't understand how I could have thought it was going the other way (you're supposed to be able to reverse the direction). With some practice, I can make it reverse direction back and forth, but prefer clockwise.

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

I am heavily a right brain thinker-- which is why I am so glad that I was an art major in college since I was able to embrace, understand, evolve and strengthen my right brain thinking instead of forcing left-brained thinking on myself. That said, I HATE being put in a box. Just because I was an art major, doesn't mean I can't access left-brained skills. If I were to check off items from these two lists that I identify with, I might check off more from the right-brained list, but also several from the left-brained.
Related Posts with Thumbnails