Two of my junior cyclists line up for their first night criterium!
Tour of Walla Walla
- Time Trial: I had a smooth time trial and went as fast as this year's training would let me go. Somehow, without high race fitness, I am finding it hard to really make myself REALLY suffer on the bike. I put in a good effort, though-- 26th out of 45, which felt about right.
- Criterium: Survival mode. I have not been in a criterium for TWO YEARS. When zooming around 8 corners with 70 women, sometimes accidents happen and I didn't want to be in any of them! I rode comfortably in the first chase group, but had no legs to be aggressive.
- Road Race: oh, boy. My "power to weight ratio" isn't doing so great these days. I've lost muscle mass AND gained weight. Yikes! In college I had placed 13th in the road race out of the 1/2/3's.. this year, I got dropped the first time up the big hill. With no chance of catching the group, I rode home with two lovely ladies and then had a pulled porked sandwich at the local brewery followed by a Coca Cola. (And I don't usually drink soda!) But oh, it felt so good!
Best Parts of the Tour
- Hearing my name cheered by both Whitman students AND locals
- Hearing people recognize and cheer the Community Center for Youth