What this blog is about

Bicycle commuting, bicycle touring, bicycle racing; bicycle ADVENTURING.
To the grocery store, up a mountain, across the country or to the finish line--
it's all an adventure.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Tour of Walla Walla Race Report

Two of my junior cyclists line up for their first night criterium!

Tour of Walla Walla
Race Report
  • Time Trial: I had a smooth time trial and went as fast as this year's training would let me go. Somehow, without high race fitness, I am finding it hard to really make myself REALLY suffer on the bike. I put in a good effort, though-- 26th out of 45, which felt about right. 
  • Criterium: Survival mode. I have not been in a criterium for TWO YEARS. When zooming around 8 corners with 70 women, sometimes accidents happen and I didn't want to be in any of them! I rode comfortably in the first chase group, but had no legs to be aggressive.
  • Road Race: oh, boy. My "power to weight ratio" isn't doing so great these days. I've lost muscle mass AND gained weight. Yikes! In college I had placed 13th in the road race out of the 1/2/3's.. this year, I got dropped the first time up the big hill. With no chance of catching the group, I rode home with two lovely ladies and then had a pulled porked sandwich at the local brewery followed by a Coca Cola. (And I don't usually drink soda!) But oh, it felt so good!
Best Parts of the Tour
Related Posts with Thumbnails